Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Strawberry Lemonade Pie




Is there any better way to welcome summer than with the sweet yet bitter taste of an ice cold glass of lemonade?  Nope, I don't think so.  Well, today in all of my boredom, I decided to try a recipe I found in the most recent issue of Martha Stewart Living.  I fell in love with the pictures of the summer pies that they showcased.  All of them are made with fresh and delicious ingredients from strawberries and lemons to peaches, plums, raspberries, and many many more!  Needless to say, I just had to try one out!
(recipe adapted from:  Strawberry Lemonade Icebox Pie)

Ingredients you will need:

  • graham cracker crumbs (and whatever the recipe on the box calls for)
  • 1 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
  • 4 eggs
  • 4-5 lemons
  • 14 oz. fresh strawberries, sliced
  • dash of salt
  • 2 1/2 cups sugar

Rather than crushing my own graham crackers to make a crust, I happened to have a box of graham cracker crumbs on hand, so I decided they would work just as well.  I just followed the recipe on the box to make the crust.  I love the way graham cracker crusts smell when they bake!




The filling of this pie was really simple to make.  In fact the whole pie was pretty easy to put together!
First, pour the sweetened condensed milk into a bowl and add the yolk of two eggs (reserving the egg whites for meringue) and one whole egg.  Whisk together and add a pinch of salt.  Then add the juice of 4 lemons.  Continue whisking until blended well.  Pour the mixture into the pie crust and bake at 325 for 25-30 minutes until the center is firm.  I baked mine for exactly 25 minutes and it was perfect!  Cool the pie on a wire rack to room temperature and then refrigerate until chilled through, about 3 hours. 









To make the topping, add 2 tbsp. of sugar and 2 tbsp. of lemon juice to 14 oz. of fresh, sliced, strawberries.  Let these sit for about 30 minutes, until you notice the berries becoming juicy.  




For the meringue, use the 2 egg whites reserved from earlier plus one more (3 egg whites total).  Combine them with 2 1/4 cups sugar.  Place this mixture over a boiling pot of water until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is warm to the touch.  This took me about 5 minutes.  Then blend the mixture on high speed for about 9-10 minutes until it becomes fluffy and medium peeks begin to form.  I blended for exactly 9 minutes. 




still very runny...this was about 3 minutes of mixing


still runny after 6 minutes of mixing.....
I forget how long it takes to make meringue


Finally!  Very fluffy and holds it shape well.



To finish off the pie, top it with the freshly sliced strawberries and then add the meringue on top.  Broil on low heat until the meringue become slightly brown (or use a kitchen torch to brown the top if you have one). 


Before browning


After!


I haven't tried this pie yet because my family had previous dinner plans last night.  However, I can't wait to try a slice.  I hope that you will give this pie a try and I hope that it reminds you of the wonderful colors and flavors of summer like it does  for me.

What are some of your favorite summer fruit recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment