Monday, April 16, 2012

Green Velvet Brownies

So guess what happens when you try to make red velvet brownies but soon realize you don't have any red food coloring?  

Then imagine that the only food color you can find is green.  And you're making brownies.  




That's right folks, may I introduce you to green velvet brownies.  An unprepared/bad shopping list maker's masterpiece!  However strange these little squares of green may look, they definitely give a whole new meaning to the "don't judge a book by it's cover" saying.  These treats were quite delectable.  And are a good way to give your friends green toothed smiles  ;) 

To start with, mix 3 T cocoa powder, 2 T food coloring (use your fave color--no need to be specific ), and 1 tsp. vanilla in a small bowl.  The ingredients will form a thick pasty consistency.  In a larger bowl, cream 1/2 cup butter (room temp.) and 1 1/2 cups sugar until fluffy.  Add 2 eggs and beat until well blended.  



Add 1 tsp vanilla and the cocoa mixture and beat until evenly colored.  If the color is not as dark as you would like, add more a drop at a time until you are satisfied.  Next, add 1 1/4 c all-purpose flour and a dash of salt.  Mix until just combined and then fold in about 2/3 c chocolate chips if you'd like (I highly recommend it!)

Pour the batter into an 8X8 pan and bake at 350 for 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  

While these puppies are baking and/or cooling, you should NOT neglect making this frosting,  TRUST ME!!

This is white chocolate frosting my friends and it is pure decadence.  Kinda fancy if you ask me.  Fancy but simple.  Now you know why I love it.     




Melt 4 oz. of white chocolate in the microwave--about a minute. 


In a large mixing bowl, cream a room temperature stick of butter and add 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar (about 1/2 c at a time).  Add 1 tsp. vanilla and then pour in the melted white chocolate.  And that is it.  That is it.  That is all it takes to have a delicious, elegant, creamy, fluffy white frosting for your treats! 


I frosted these guys and then left them in the fridge overnight.  The brownies were very crumbly but my taste tester (ahhheemmmm Allison) said that made them taste better.  And after all, that is the most important part!  

Well now, I must tell you that I made these for my sister.  She had her state tennis match today so I figured she could use some sugar/carbs/energy!  I decorated with a few different things:  

A= Ashton
Circle with lines= Tennis Ball
Ace= All the awesome serves I know she'll hit
FD= Fort Dale (her team)
<3= Sisterly Love
State, Win, and #1=  Because she's simply the best  :)



I drove all the way to Montgomery this afternoon to deliver these goods and to watch her play.  But unfortunately, the weather was pretty bad today and I was only there long enough to eat my free Chik-fil-A lunch and watch her play 1 game.  But I got to visit with Ashton and the rents for a bit so it was all good.    
  

Make yourself some colored brownies.  They'll make ya feel better.  Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment