Sunday, February 12, 2012

Oatmeal Whole Wheat Bread

So most of you, okay honestly the few of you who actually read this blog, probably notice two very contradicting things about my posts.  1. I am a nutrition major/student  2. All I ever bake are sweets that are fattening, unhealthy, and souped up on sugar.  But, I promise my diet does consist of things other than sugar and cookies.  Those are just the items I love to bake and give to people for pick-me-ups/birthdays/just because.  But yes, I will be the first to admit I do sample everything I make.  Maybe taking seconds if it is worth it  ;)



All of that being said (solely for my personal reassurance), I actually did bake something really delicious, and yes you guessed it, healthy too!  This bread recipe is full of oats, whole wheat flour, and honey  aka:  fiber, whole grain, and natural sweetener.  It was so delicious right out of the oven with some honey drizzled on top!  I advise reheating slices in the microwave and adding honey (or butter--but remember I was being healthy! lol) for a great afternoon snack or even for dessert.  This bread would be perfect as an appetizer or served at a brunch or shower, etc.  It is so light and sweet and perfect any time of the day!  

Here is the recipe.  From start to finish it only takes about 35 minutes to bake your own loaf of fresh bread!

You will need:
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 T honey
1 T veg. oil
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 450 F.  Combine all ingredients in large bowl.  Pour into a well-greased bread pan (you could also form the dough into a ball and place it on a greased baking sheet if you prefer a round loaf over a square loaf).  Bake bread for 20 minutes.  Slice and enjoy  :)






I hope your weekend has been fantastic---it has been chilly here in the South.  Something we have yet to experience this winter season.  No bueno.

No comments:

Post a Comment