Sunday, April 17, 2011

Banana Oatmeal and Chocolate Chip Bars

Well, this weekend has been one of relaxation that's for sure.  It's been so relaxing that I have actually been driven to a point past boredom (if that's possible).  Yesterday, I went for an early morning run, switched out my winter clothes for summer ones (yayyy!!), and then studied until mi familia arrived for an afternoon in Auburn.  We walked around campus and then attended the Delta Zeta tailgate where we stuffed ourselves so full of Mike and Eds's BBQ, caesar salad, fruit, and cookies that we opted for the long walk home so we could all breathe again.


My sweet sisters and me in front of the poisoned Toomer Oak  :(  Maybe we gave it enough much needed love to pull through?!

  I feel lucky to have seen my family for 2 weekends in a row now and am ecstatic to see them next weekend as well!  They're great!  Well, once the fam departed I was home alone so I decided to go for another run, around campus this time, and then I decided I needed to bake--of course.  What better way is there to spend a Saturday evening than in the kitchen right??!!  Well, I found this great recipe from one of my all time FAVORITE blogs and decided to give it a whirl.      

Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars:

  • one banana
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla flavoring
  • 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 2/3 cups chocolate chips
  • 2/3 cup banana chips

This recipe was so simple and absolutely finger-lickin' good!  Pre-heat your oven to 350.  Mash the banana in a small bowl and add the brown sugar and canola oil.  In another bowl, mix the next 6 ingredients and then combine the wet and dry ingredients.  The batter will be a bit dry and sticky, but just keep mixing until all of the ingredients are well blended.  Then fold in the chocolate chips and banana chips.  Pour into a greased 8 inch pan and bake 20-25 minutes.  BOOM, you have the best sweet/salty snack.  Hope you enjoy as much as I and my roomies have  :)


I am obsessed with the way brown sugar stays compact.  just a thing I have I guess...



Not the best plating obviously, but I had hungry friends anxiously awaiting so I was a bit rushed...


sooo tasty


Also, I can't publish this post without recognizing this great and beautiful Palm Sunday.  May we all take the time to remember and reflect on the sacrifices of our Lord and Savior this special week and every week.  I hope that you have all been spoken to and have been changed for the better this Lenten season.  We are so blessed and take for granted the gift of life we have been graciously given.  I hope that you will remember to celebrate this week and live every day giving all the Glory of the Risen One.  

Matthew 21:1-11




No comments:

Post a Comment