Thursday, April 14, 2011

lately...

Well, once again I have taken a week to get back to the blog world.  But, at least I'm back?!  I have been pretty busy these last few days.  I had two big tests on Friday, and I finally got to go home--home home-- for the first time since Spring Break (i.e. in 4 weeks) for this past weekend.  It was wonderful!  I have missed my family so much and I needed a break from life here in Auburn for a few days.  Tuesday night I finally got to perform in Greek Sing, which is the dance competition I have been practicing for since February.  We didn't place in the Top 4, but I had a blast and am very glad I did it, even though I complained of every practice beforehand.  Check out our dance at this link!!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3ZNx66aRU0

Also on Tuesday, I had a chance to do some more baking  :)  FINALLY!  Althought his recipe I am sharing today is not necessarily healthy, it sure does make delicious treats and great snacks!  It seems that many of my friends were having rough/busy weeks as well so I made cute goodie bags and filled each with an encouraging note and 3 delicious turtles!  They are so simple to make and look great!

Once again, here is a sign of my blogging inadequacy. I forgot to take a picture of all of the ingredients to start with.  But, all you need is

  • about 60 pecan halves
  • 7 oz. of caramel (I used the round pieces already opened for you--easily found on any baking aisle)
  • 4 oz. semi-sweet Baker's chocolate
  • 3 oz. butter
First, preheat the oven to 350, and then roast the pecans for 10 minutes, turning halfway through.  Place the pecans on a paper towel away from the heat and allow them to cool completely.  


Next, the carmel and 2 oz. of butter need to melt.  Leave them in a saucepan, not unattended, until bubbly.


While the caramel has melted, arrange the pecans in clusters of 5 or so on a baking sheet covered in aluminum foil (or wax paper).  Grease the foil with a little bit of butter.


Once the caramel has melted entirely and is bubbling slightly, drizzle a small spoonful on top of each pecan cluster.  Once all of the clusters have caramel, freeze the tray for 30 minutes or until caramel is hard.  Once the caramel has hardened, melt the chocolate squares and 1 oz. of butter in a microwave safe bowl (about 1 min. on high).  Once the chocolate has melted, it will still be somewhat thick.  Just dollop the chocolate on top of the caramel in a circular shape and smooth it with the back of your spoon.



Let them sit for about 20 minutes (I put mine back in the freezer to speed things up) and then they are ready!  So easy, cute, and YUMMY!



My roommate and I got crafty with our extra caramel and pecans........



mmmmmm......

Well, I hope you will give these turtles a try!  I know they brightened my friends' days yesterday and hopefully you and yours can find some joy in them too.  And that is the true reason I love baking so much. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment