Sunday, March 25, 2012

Eat. Run. Eat.

I couldn't think of a more appropriate title for this post because I literally feel like this is what I did today.

When I got home from church I was starving!  I decided to make a good salad--since I have fresh food now!  I used a handful of Organic Girl mixed greens, half of a can of tuna fish, a handful of dried cranberries, and a sprinkle, okay let's be a real--a nice heaping puddle-- of balsamic vinaigrette dressing.  This salad was delicious, filling, and also really light so I didn't feel miserably stuffed afterwards  :)


I also had some carrot sticks and red pepper hummus.  And a blueberry pomegranate propel!  These drinks were buy 1 get 1 at Publix yesterday, and I just couldn't pass them up.  I couldn't tell you the last time I had one, but they used to be a staple in my high school lunch box.  Yea, that's right.  I just said high school lunch box.  Don't hate.


After lunch, I did some studying.  And then more studying.  And then I did some facebook stalking.  Then I ate the other half of my banana from breakfast this morning-with peanut butter on top, of course!  And then more studying.  Finally, I couldn't take it anymore.  I had to get out of the house!  

I decided I would go for a run, but I was leary as to what distance I should try to run because my legs were feeling a little tight after yesterday's 5K.  But, I stretched really well and decided I would give my long route a try.  And boy am I glad I did!  The loop I ran was a little over 4 miles and I was able to finish in just under 40 minutes.  I actually ran at a quicker pace today than I did in the race yesterday.  I think it is because my path is a bit more flat than the race course was.  Either way, I felt really good while running, and also after.  Success!

When I got home, my belly was definitely ready for some dinner!  I decided to cook pearl barley with brussell sprouts and dried cranberries, and a side of sweet potato wedges.  


This was the first time I have ever had barley and I can't say it is my favorite grain.  It wasn't bad though once I mixed it with the fruit and veggies.  The combination of the savory sprouts with the sweet cranberries was really perfect!  The sweet potatoes were a sweet addition as well!

To make this dinner (for 1) you will need:

1 cup pearl barley
6-8 brussel sprouts
1 handful of dried cranberries
1 medium size sweet potato

Since I had never cooked barley before, I followed the instructions and portions listed on the bag.  Boil 2 1/2 cups water, with a pinch of salt added, and then add barley.  Reduce heat and simmer for 40-45 minutes.  Stir occasionally because it does stick to the bottom pretty easily.  While the barley simmered, I cleaned and washed some fresh brussel sprouts and a sweet potato.  Cut the potato into wedges and then toss the veggies with olive oil, salt, and pepper, to taste.  Roast them on a sheet pan in a 350 oven for about 30-40 minutes.  The sweet potatoes were done about 10 minutes before the sprouts so I just took them out and then continued to cook the sprouts until they were done.  The veggies should be fork tender when ready.

It took me about an hour to prepare this meal, but now I have 2 1/2 cups barley (as 1 cup raw makes 3 cups cooked...oops!) in the fridge to reheat for meals this week.  I also went ahead and cooked extra sprouts to have ready for this week too.

For dessert, I was feeling adventurous and enjoyed 2 sweet potato wedges with PB and butterscotch chips.  Don't hate it 'til you try it.  Trust me!!


Alright well I am off to study for a little bit more.  Then I am catching some zzzzz's.

No comments:

Post a Comment