Saturday, April 14, 2012

week-end things

Well, the end of this week was a great one!  I successfully completed all of my tests, homework, and projects--for this week anyways.  I even had some free time to have a little fun here at the end of the week!

Thursday night was our last DZ social of the semester.  Meaning it was my last social ever  :'(  The theme was housewives and handymen so Allison and I donned our aprons for the evening. 



Last night my roomie Kathleen and I had made plans to fix dinner together.  I had a recipe for sweet potato burgers I found on Pinterest so we decided on those.  They were pretty simple to make, and we made a few tweaks in the recipe to help speed up the process as well.  They turned out really delicious, but we decided that next time we will add more seasoning to the mix becasue we both agreed they could use a bit more kick.


The recipe said to bake 1 large sweet potato.  Since that takes at least an hour or so, and we were ravneous, we decided to boil our 2 small sweet potatoes for about 10 minutes instead.



Then, you mix 1 can of white canellini beans, 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, 1 egg, 2 tsp honey or maple syrup, 2 tsp of cajun seasoning (or any other seasoning of your choice), and add salt and pepper to the mix to taste.  Just mash it all together until it is a creamy, smooth, consistency.



Form the "mush" into patties and coat really well with bread crumbs.  The batter/dough/whatever you prefer to call it is VERY moist and sticky, and doesn't really hold it's shape well.  But, once you add the bread crumbs and get them in the pan, they definitely bind together more than you expect they will. 



Drizzle a frying pan with olive oil and cook the patties until they are a nice golden brown on each side.  It took about 6-7 minutes for each patty.  


We enjoyed our sweet potato patties on some whole wheat bread and added spinach leaves and dijon mustard.  We cooked some corn for more veggie enjoyment, and Kathleen shared her Strawberry Beer with me.  This was my first (I think) flavored beer and it was delish!!  Our meal was wonderful and I definitely plan on making the sweet potato patties again! 

This is also a great recipe if you have any kind of leftover sweet potatoes from a potluck or a big sit down dinner as well. 


After dinner, Allison , Katie and I went out on the town in what seemed like the first time in forever.  It was a fun night!

Auburn is so crowded with people of all ages though because today is not only A-Day, but it is also Rodeo.  I am making my debut appearance at the rodeo so I will be back soon to report the day's activities.  I felt like I should start the day off right with a little bit of health and substance as I am afraid it's the only bit I'll have today.  So for breakfast I fixed some toast with peanut butter and honey and enjoyed a strawberry Chobani yogurt with it.  I plan to eat the banana before heading out for the day. 


  Wish me luck.....giddyup ya'll!


No comments:

Post a Comment