Friday, April 20, 2012

Spicy BBQ Chicken and Pineapple Quesadillas

Well for those of you who happened to read my post from about 17 days ago, you may recall what was probably one of the greatest moments of my life.  I met Ree.  I also bought her cookbook.  Tonight, I utilized it.

My roomie, Kathleen, and I have decided to start cooking Friday night dinners together.  Then we realized we only have two Friday nights left as roomies.  Excuse me while I go cry.  Oh wait, I can't do that.  I'll go pout.

Last week we made fabulous sweet potato burgers.  Tonight we decided to flip through my PW book and we came across a delicious sounding quesadilla.  We agreed it sounded like perfection.


To begin with, we (Kathleen) slaved over this pineapple.  We finally got it cut into pretty little cubes though  :)



Ree said to grill the pineapple on skewers.  We don't have skewers.  or a grill.  So we used Kathleen's George Forman.  It worked really well and blackened the pineapple nicely.  Only downfall was a sticky mess to clean off of the grill. 


While Kathleen worked with the pineapple, I cooked the chicken.  We just cooked 3 frozen chicken tenders in olive oil until nice and brown.  Then I brushed each side with BBQ sauce and let it soak in/burn on--oops!  


The assembly station!  Each small flour tortilla was topped with chicken, pineapple, shredded pepper jack cheese (can sub your favorite cheese) jalapenos (if your heart desires) and extra drizzles of BBQ sauce of course!



Put a small bit of butter in a frying pan and place the "loaded" tortilla in the pan.  Cover with a second tortilla.  When the sides of the bottom tortilla begin to sizzle/bubble and curl up and turn brown, you are ready to flip.  Use a spatula and flip quick.  It is much less stressful than fretting over trying to do it perfectly.  Trust me!


This quesadilla was the perfect combo of sweet (sauce and pineapple), savoury (sauce), spicy (jalapenos and sauce), and delicousness (sauce).  And as you can see, the sauce is an essential ingredient.  Don;t neglect it.  Be generous.  You can dip them in salsa and sour cream for more enjoyment too.  I mean, I might have.  

No comments:

Post a Comment